Dunkirk’s Neighborhood Groceries
By Douglas H. Shepard, 2013
The following are historical summaries of selected neighborhood “corner stores,” i.e. the confectionaries, meat counters, ice cream parlors, fruit markets, and small groceries as found in Dunkirk’s city directories from the late 19th century through the mid-20th century. Most of the historical summaries begin with 1912, but in some cases, earlier directories have also been consulted. There are gaps in the historical summaries where no directory was available or where a directory was skipped in order to focus on more recent entries. Listings are in numerical order by today’s street addresses. Many photos of existing buildings are courtesy of Diane Andrasik, and others are courtesy of Google Maps.
The confectionary of Mrs. Victoria B. Luczkowiak was listed at 5 Middle Road from 1925 through 1944, but the building no longer exists.
The business at 7 Saint Hedwig was listed in the 1925 City Directory as “soft drinks” in the name of Rudolph Worosz. In 1930, it was listed as vacant, but then it was listed from 1935 through 1953 as the Rudolph Worosz grocery. In 1955 and 1956, it was listed under Stanley A. Dudek as a grocery at 9 St. Hedwig. From 1957 through 1959, Dudek was listed with a home address at 7 and a grocery at 9. In 1961 and 1962, the Stanley A. Dudek grocery was listed at 7, but in 1963, Dudek’s grocery was listed under Mrs. Ann M. Dudek. That listing continued through 1965, and then in 1966, the Worosz Grocery was listed at 7 under Pauline Worosz, and in 1972, the Worosz Grocery was listed at 7 under Louise Worosz.
A grocery was listed at 12 Webster in 1904 under Francis Nowicki. In 1906, the listing was F. L. Nowicki. Then the listing was under Francis Nowicki again from 1907 through 1941. From 1944 through 1948, the listing was under Felix R. Pakulski.
At 19 Wright Street, the P. Kaiser saloon was listed in 1912, and the C. J. Benn saloon was listed in 1917. In 1923, it was listed as the Joseph Pusateri soft drinks establishment, and from 1930 through 1948 as the Pusateri Brothers groceries and meats. In 1951 it was listed as the Joseph Pusateri grocery and in 1961 as the United Market. In 2013, a grocery was next door at 17 Wright Street.
The grocery at 21 East Doughty Street was listed in the name of Adam Rock from 1935 through 1961. In 1962, it was listed simply as Rock’s Grocery. From 1963 through 1980, it was listed as Rak’s Grocery in the names of Joseph and Mrs. Eleanor Rak.
A grocery at 22 East Courtney Street was listed in 1923 under Charles Azuct, and from 1925 through 1930 under Chas. Ozuct. From 1935 through 1955, it was listed under John Purol, from 1956 through 1959 under Mrs. Frances Purol, and from 1961 through 1963 under White’s Grocery and Meats.
Listed at 22 Lucas Avenue from 1941 through 1944 was the (Anthony) Petz Delicatessen. From 1946 through 1948, it was listed as the Lewis E. Gammon Delicatessen, and then from 1951 through 1953 it was the Gammon’s Self Service Grocery. Sometime prior to 1958, 22 Lucas Avenue became a private home again, and Gammon’s Grocery moved across the street, where it remained in operation through 1968.
Located on the site of a former railroad freight station, a grocery at 23 Marsden Street was listed from 1923 through 1935 under Wm. H. Udy, and from 1938 through 1941 in the name of Mrs. Clara Udy.
The grocery at 25 Benton Street was listed from 1925 through 1951 in the name of Andrew Zep. From 1942 through 1961, it was listed under Andrew A. Zepp.
At 25 East Third Street, the clothier Charles Ianne had a shop listing from 1912 through 1915. The shop was listed as vacant in 1917, and in 1923, the confectioner Jeffie Goskova was listed. In 1930 it was Johnston’s Music House, but from 1935 through 1961, the John Patti grocery was listed here. In 1969 it was Josephine’s Grocery. This building no longer exists.
A grocery at 26 East Courtney was listed in 1923 under Wm. Michalak, but from 1925 through 1938 the listing was Wm. Michalak dry goods.
At 29 East Third Street and 31 East Third Street, H. P. Lally & Co. was listed as a grocery with “furniture, etc.” in 1915. The Quinlan & Brockman meat market was listed there in 1925, along with the Empire Billiard Parlor. From 1930 through 1938, the Singer Sewing Machine Co. was listed at 29, but from 1940 through 1948, the H. A. Kozlowski sign shop was listed at 29 and the MacKendrick’s confectionary at 31. In 1949, 29 was a private home, and Mackendrick’s confectionary was still listed at 31. In 1953, 31 was Vince’s confectionary, but by 1955 it was Vince’s Restaurant. From 1956 through 1963, it was Walt’s Men’s Toggery. The building no longer exists.
The grocery at 30 East Courtney was listed from 1912 through 1930 under Frank Przybycien, from 1935 through 1948 under Mrs. Mary Przybycien, in 1949 under Thomas F. Przybycien, and from 1951 through 1964 under Tommy’s Market.
The grocery store at 35 Genet Street was listed in 1915 under J. F. Pogorzelski. From 1917 through 1930, it was listed under Joseph F. Pogorzelski, and from 1931 through 1946 under Mrs. Edna Pogorzelski. From 1948 through 1964, it was listed under Frank Porgorzelski. In 1965 and 1966, it was listed under Mrs. Betty Fafinski, and although there was no listing in 1967, it was listed as the delicatessen of Mrs. Betty Fafinski in 1968. In 1969, it was listed as Kubera’s delicatessen, then from 1972 through 1974 as the Kubera Grocery. In 1976, it was listed as Kubera’s Meat Market.
A vacant store was listed at 37 East Doughty Street in 1915, although it may never have been a grocery. By 1930, the Joseph Naruszewicz soft drink parlor was listed here. His restaurant was listed here from 1935 through 1948. Then from 1949 through 1969, it was the S. J. Szczerbacki restaurant.
A grocery at 39 West Sixth Street was listed as the Russell Mancuso grocery from 1935 through 1938. It was listed from 1940 through 1959 as “The Pantry,” and from 1961 through 1964 as “The Pantry, Anthony J. Mancuso, grocery and meats.” There was no listing in 1965, but in 1966, it was listed as Coniglio’s Grocery.
The market at 39 West Third Street was listed from 1923 through 1925 as the Joseph Gullo grocery, then in 1930 as the John Gullo grocery. From 1935 through 1965, it was the John Woods grocery. Then from 1968 through 1979, it was listed as the John Woods antique shop.
A grocery store was listed at 40 Armadillo Street in 1906 and 1907 in the name of Martin A. Marmurowicz. It was listed under Stanley Grzegerzewski from 1909 through 1917. From 1923 through 1940, it was listed under Jacob Sobkowski, and from 1941 through 1961, under John A. Sobkowski.
There was a fish market at 40 Lakeshore Drive East from at least 1912. From that date through 1951, it was the T. J. Desmond and C. W. Desmond establishment, also known as the Desmond Fish Co. After 1955, there is no 40 Lakeshore Drive East listed in the city directories at all.
The confectionary of Mrs. Charlotte Bartkowiak was listed at 42 Middle Road in 1938. From 1941 through 1944, the candy shop was listed under Jacob Kopyszka. In 1946, it was listed under Anthony J. Szukala, confectioner. The shop was listed as a grocery operated by Mrs. Florence Szukala from 1961 through 1963.
At 42 North Roberts Road, the Anthony Dziedzic grocery was listed in 1925, the John Pokoj grocery in 1938, and the Mrs. Helen M. Dziedzic grocery from 1940 through 1944. From 1946 through 1955, the Edward Dziedzic grocery was listed here.
From 1935 through 1951, the Edw. J. Greder grocery was listed at 43 Lakeshore Drive East. In 1961, the City Shirt Laundry was there, and in 1968, the Aluminum Contractors of Dunkirk had the building. It no longer exists.
A grocery at 43 Ruggles Street was listed from 1923 through 1938 under Leo Ricotta, and from 1940 through 1956 under Mrs. Frances Ricotta.
The grocery at 48 East Fifth Street was constructed as Flanagan’s Grocery and was listed as such from 1912 through 1915, then as the Martin Liquor co. in 1917. From 1923 through 1925, it was a Flickinger grocery store, but it was vacant in 1930. From 1935 through 1944, it was listed as the Sarah E. Mitchell grocery, then from 1946 through 1951 as the Mrs. Sarah E. Enserro grocery. In 1961, it was listed only as a private home, but from 1977 through 1983, it was listed as Romeo’s Market.
A grocery or general store was listed at 49 East Courtney from 1904 through 1917 under the name of Thomas Rutkowski. In 1925, Stephen Kalfas was listed with “soft drinks” at 49-1/2 East Courtney. Stanley Wojnarowski was listed here with a shoe store from 1923 through 1930, and in 1940 and 1941, the listing was under the grocery of Mrs. Anna W. Wojnarowski. 1946 through 1948 listed the confectioner Jos. J. Skubis here. In 1951, the delicatessen of Mrs. Dorothy Jelonek was here, and in 1961 it was listed as Belle’s Ice Cream Bar.
Although it may always have served as a tavern and not as a grocery store, the commercial building at 49 East Doughty Street was listed as the soft drink parlor of Mrs. Mary Strychalski from 1925 through 1930. From 1935 through 1944, she was listed with a restaurant at this address. From 1946 through 1974, the listing was under the Joseph Strychalski restaurant, and afterward, Strychalski’s Bar, locally known as Strike’s.
A grocery and meats store at 51 Benton Street was operated in 1912 by Michael Gostomski. In 1915 it was listed as Jacob Kowalski, grocery and meats. It was vacant in 1917, but from 1923 through 1951, the Mathias Wincenciak grocery was listed there. In 1961, it was a private home, but the building no longer exists.
At 51 East Courtney, the grocery of Stanislaus Wolanin was listed in 1900. From 1902 through 1906, the listing was under William Michalak. In 1907 and 1909, it was under Leon Nowicki. From 1910 through 1917, the grocery was listed under Frank Adamski. In 1923 it was listed as the White Eagle Bakery under Walter Borowinski, and in 1925, the baker Walter Borowinski was listed there again. From 1935 through 1983, the White Eagle Bakery was listed here.
From 1912 through 1917, a shop and offices were listed at 53 East Third Street, and in 1923 it was a vacant store, but in 1930, the Joe Missini fruit market was listed here. The George Valone grocery was listed here by 1941, and Valone’s grocery was listed here from 1941 through 1949. Then the Valone Market was listed there from 1949 through 1961. From 1962 through 1969, it was listed as Valone’s Foods, Inc., but there was no listing from 1972 through 1974. From 1976 through 1983, the “Meat Counter” was listed there under William J. Watson. This building no longer exists.
Although it’s been a private home since 1940, there was once a grocery and meat market at 55 East Courtney Street, listed in 1940 under Frank P. Sell. From 1904 through 1906, the George Rosmus shoe store was listed at that address, and in 1907 he was listed as a shoemaker with a general store. In 1909 the store was listed as his dry goods, boots, and shoes. The Joseph Cionecki dry goods and shoe store was listed here from 1910 through 1915, then the shoe repair shop of John Kolinusecki. In 1923, Anthony Frankiewicz (Franckjewicz) was listed with dry goods and shoes here, and then just with dry goods in 1925. Stanley Kozlowski had dry goods here in 1930, but Anthony Frankiewicz was listed as a confectioner here in 1935.
There was no listing for 55 East Doughty Street in 1915, but from 1925 through 1941, the Anthony Frankiewicz confectionary was listed here. In 1949, only a private home was listed under that number. From 1951 through 1953, Stan’s Sporting Goods was listed here. From 1961 onward, only a private home was listed under this number.
No longer existing, the building at 57 West Fifth Street was listed in 1912 through 1915 as the John E. Smith grocery. In 1917 it was the Serv-us Pure Food Store, and from 1923 through 1935, a Flickinger store. From 1938 through 1946, it was the John E. Smith grocery and meats, in 1948 the Walter Johnson grocery, and in 1951 the John E. Smith grocery again. In 1961 it was the Sun Rise Food Market, and then from 1977 through 1983 it was Feser’s Plumbing.
The Lake City Fish Co. was listed in 1925 at 58 Lakeshore Drive West, then known as 62 Front Street. From 1941 through 1944, the Lake City Fish Co. was still listed there, now with the new address. Both addresses had disappeared by 1946.
At 59 Railroad Avenue (today’s Franklin Avenue), there was a grocery in 1930 listed under Pasquale Morrone. From 1935 through 1944, it was listed under Mrs. Vincenza Morrone, but the building no longer exists.
In 1898 John E. Dailey, a carpenter, had been listed at the newly erected house at 60 East Courtney Street, the only house between Townsend and South Roberts. Dailey later disappeared from the records there. A grocery at 60 East Courtney Street was listed from 1910 through 1925 under Leon Nowacki, and in 1930 under Jos. Grzegorzewski.
The grocery store at 61 East Courtney Street was listed under Michael Borowski at 59 East Courtney in 1902, then from 1904 through 1915 under 61 East Courtney and Michael Borowski as a general store and meat market. From 1917 through 1948 the listing was under Mrs. Frances Borowski, from 1949 through 1954 under Chester Borowski, and from 1956 through 1983 under Borowski’s Red & White Store.
A grocery was listed at 63 E. Seventh Street from 1923 through 1925 under Wm. F. Denson. In 1930, it was listed under Dominick Crino, and in 1935 under Wm M. Erbin, and in 1938 under Mrs. Grace Crino. Then it was listed from 1940 through 1954 under Dominick Crino again.
A grocery once stood at 65 E. Third Street and was listed from 1935 through 1953 under Dominick Valvo. From 1954 through 1959, it was listed as the Valvo Grocery. This building no longer exists.
From 1912 through 1915, a vacant store was listed at 67 East Third Street, and in 1917, the American Tailoring Co. was there. In 1923, the Isidor Haber ladies’ ready-to-wear was there, and in 1930, the LeBar Bros. barbers. However, from 1935 through 1959, the Joseph Messina grocery was listed there. From 1961 through 1969, it was the Mrs. Mary A. Messina grocery. This building no longer exists.
Although the building at 75 East Third Street no longer exists, at least as early as 1912 it was a meat market. From that year through 1941, it was listed under John Mauthe. From 1948 through 1958, it was listed as the meat market of John Mauthe & Sons. In 1959 it was listed as the Castle Food Market. The Boorady Bookstore was listed there from 1961 through 1972, and soon afterward, the building disappeared.
At 77 East Doughty Street, the Alex J. Papierski confectionary was listed from 1925 through 1953. A print shop was listed here from 1961 through 1993.
At 82 Maple Avenue (N.Y.S. Route 60), a grocery was listed from 1935 through 1951 under Jos. Noto. By 1961, however, it was a private home, and then for a short time Tederous Liquors. The building no longer exists.
The grocery at 93 East Fourth Street was listed as the Andrew Rapp meat market in 1935, and then as the meat market of Mrs. Clara B. Rapp from 1938 through 1951. From 1953 through 1969, the shop was listed as Mrs. Clara B. Rapp’s candy store. The building disappeared during the next decade.
The grocery store at 94 East Second Street was listed in 1910 in the name of James Carlo. From 1912 through 1935, it was listed under George Jarvis. From 1938 through 1941, it was listed under Anthony Polito. It was listed as the Jarvis Grocery from 1944 through 1969. In 1972, it was listed as the Colon Grocery, and in 1974 as the DeJesus Grocery.
At 99 Lincoln Avenue, Walker’s IXL Celebrated Ice Cream shop was listed in 1925. In 1930, A. J. Kornprobst was listed as an ice cream manufacturer here. In 1935, it was the Hill-Mill Ice Cream Co., and from 1938 through 1941, it was the Rich Ice Cream Co. From 1944 onward, it was listed as a private home.
In 1941, the confectionary of Thaddeus S. Setera was listed at 100 East Doughty Street. From 1949 through 1963, Mary’s Soda Bar was listed here.
At approximately 100 East Second Street the grocery of Peter Incavo was listed from 1935 through 1940. From 1941 through 1948, the directories listed it under Peter Ingavo, but in 1949 the listing was corrected to Peter Incavo again.
The grocery at 102 Main Street (formerly Lion Street) was listed from 1912 through 1923 under the name of Philip Aguglia, who also operated a barber shop there. It was listed as the Philip Aguglia grocery from 1925 through 1935. From 1940 through 1949, it was listed as the Harbor Diner grocery, and in 1951 as Harrington’s Grocery. It was later a private home, then a second hand store. The building no longer exists.
A grocery was listed at 106 Pine Street under the name of Michl Dziduch from 1923 through 1965.
At 107 King Street, the Frank Schrantz grocery was listed from 1925 through 1963. From 1968 through 1979, the listing was under the grocery of Mildred M. Schrantz.
The former grocery at 110 Franklin Avenue (formerly Railroad Avenue) was a saloon by at least 1912, and was listed under Paul Kaiser from that year through 1915. In 1925, it was listed as a confectionary under Mrs. Mary Sparks. From 1930 through 1935, it was listed as the grocery of Archie Sparks. Then in 1938 after Archie Sparks had moved to 112, Frank Snyder was listed at 110 and remained there through 1955. In 1956 and 1957, it was listed as Conley’s Market. Afterward, it was a residence, but the building no longer exists.
At 110 Lincoln Avenue, a Red & White grocery store was listed in 1940. It may have been listed as a store under different names and a different address at earlier times. From 1941 through 1944, it was the Lucy A. Smith grocery. From 1946 through 1963, it was the John A. Kolassa grocery. From 1977 through 1983, it was Dee’s Bridal Shop.
The Walker Creamery Products establishment was listed at 112 East Fourth Street from 1915 through 1935. From 1941 through 1963, it was listed as a confectionary under Clark’s Dairy Bar. It was a later a tile and marble shop, a newsstand, and a restaurant. The building no longer exists.
The confectionary of Archie Sparks was listed at 112 Franklin Avenue from 1938 through 1941. Before and afterward, this address was listed as a private home only. The building no longer exists.
A grocery at 112 Main Street (formerly Lion Street) was listed from 1923 through 1930 under Frank Conti. It was vacant in 1935, but from 1938 through 1940, it was listed as the Nicholas Sam fruit market. In 1941, Dave Andin was listed with the fruit market. From 1946 through 1951, it was the Roy Addington liquor store, from 1955 through 1961 it was the Lesandro liquor store, and in 1963 it was O’Malia’s liquor store. In 1968 the shop was listed as the El Colmadito grocery, and in 1969 as the La Favorita grocery. The building no longer exists.
At 114 Lincoln Avenue, the Wells Fish Market was listed from 1938 through 1941. The building was the Lincoln Beauty Shop from 1946 through 1948. By 1953, it has become a private home.
At 115 Lakeshore Drive East, the grocery of Ralph Dolce was listed from 1940 through 1946. In 1948, the listing was under Anthony Giordana. From 1949 through 1958, the grocery was listed under Arth. A. Hamernik. In 1959, there was a listing under Anthony A. Banach, and in 1961, there was a listing under Dave’s Superette.
The very interesting building at today’s 121 West Second Street was listed from 1925 through 1941 as the Aug. Wolfe meat market. However, the building was probably a commercial enterprise long before 1925, but under a different street address.
At 123 Central Avenue, the Julius Mayer piano store was listed at least from the year 1912. From 1925 through 1944, however, the Drewes and Ahrens wholesale confectionary was located here. From 1946 through 1976, the Lake City Sales Co. was listed as a wholesale confectionary here.
There was a fruit market at 123 Lakeshore Drive East, listed under Frank L. Chicoski from 1938 through 1946. The building was later a private home, and later replaced by a self service laundry.
A grocery was listed from 1925 through 1930 at 123 Lakeshore Drive West under the name of Earl Baldwin, but the address was then known as 93 West Front Street. From 1935 through 1946, the listing was under Earl Baldwin at the new address. From 1948 through 1954, the store was listed under Russell Augrum.
From 1935 through 1980, a grocery was listed at 129 East Second Street under Casimir A. Marmurowicz.
From 1930 through 1948, the Rosario Garigall grocery was listed at 139 Maple Avenue. From 1951 through 1969, the grocery of Mrs. Angelo Garigall was listed here. The building no longer exists.
For about two decades, a grocery store was located at today’s 145 West Second Street. In 1925, it was listed as the Flickinger Store, in 1944 as the Frederik R. Rosing grocery, and in 1946 as the Orville Butcher grocery.
The Frank Szczerbacki groceries and meats store was located at 160 Lake Shore Drive East from 1935 through 1940. In 1941 it was listed only as his grocery, and from 1944 through 1946 as his confectionary. In 1948, Mary’s Beauty Shop was listed there, and in 1951 it was Russ and Mary’s Fruit Market. However from 1961 through 1974, the Dunkirk Tastee Freez was listed there. The building no longer exists.
The grocery of Timothy Sullivan was listed at 161 Lincoln Avenue from 1912 through 1917. In 1923 through 1940, it was listed as the grocery of Mrs. Amelia J. Sullivan, and from 1941 through 1946, it was Sullivan’s Market with groceries and meats. From 1948 through 1961, it was listed as the grocery of Nicholas J. Strefeler. By 1977, it was listed as a Kung Fu Club, and by 1979 as vacant.
A grocery was listed under Nicholas Sobkowski at 166 Lakeshore Drive East from 1900 through 1930, when the address was still known as 130 East Front Street. From 1935 through 1941, Nicholas Sobkowski was still listed here, but the numbering had been changed to 166 Lakeshore Drive East.
At 183 East Second Street, the S. Grezegorzewski grocery was listed from 1923 through 1925. Some listings thereafter were: Carl Switalski grocery (1930), Adelbert Tuczynski grocery and meats (1935), Mrs. Hattie Tuczynski grocery and meats (1938 – 1959), Edwin A. Tucsynski grocery (1961), Rainbow Inn (1974).
At 190 Lakeshore Drive East, a grocery was listed under Cornelius Stumm from 1887 through 1912, when the address was known as 4 Lake Road. In 1915, Mrs. S. C. Stumm was listed with the store. In 1917, the listing was for the National Grocery Company. From 1923 through 1930, Michl J. Panowicz was listed with the grocery. He was listed again from 1935 through 1959, after the re-numbering from 4 Lake Road to 190 Lakeshore Drive East.
The A & P market located at 196 Lakeshore Drive East was listed from 1930 through 1938, and known as 6 Lake Road in the early years. The Robert E. Kuehn grocery at 196 Lakeshore Drive East appeared only in the 1940 directory, but in the same directory, the Lincoln Market was listed at 198 Lakeshore Drive East. In 1941, the grocery at 198 was listed under Anthony M. Koscinszko. In 1941, the fruit market of A. Sam & Sons was listed at 196.
At about 201 King Street (southwest corner of King and Doughty Streets), a vacant store was listed from 1912 through 1917, and it was then numbered as 207. In 1917, only a private home was listed there, and from 1923 through 1930, there was nothing listed as 207. However, in 1935, the Thos. Douglas grocery was listed as 207. In 1938, it was the Harry G. Orcutt grocery, and in 1940 and 1941 it was the Walter L. Orcutt grocery. In 1944, the New York Central roundhouse was listed at 181 King, Stanley Golubski was at 205 King, John Maternowski was at 207 King, but there was no grocery listed. In 1946, Stanley Golubski was listed at 205 King and the Walter L. Orcutt grocery was listed without a number, and John Maternowski was listed at 207. In 1948, the same people were listed at 205 and 207, and the Orcutt grocery was listed as 201. In 1949, when the roundhouse still existed, the same people were listed at 205 and 207, and the Golubski Food Market was listed at 201. In 1951, the Brogard Iron Works had replaced the roundhouse, the same people were listed at 205 and 207, and the Golubski Food Market was still listed as 201. In 1953, the Golubski Food Market was still there, and the numbering sequence along King Street was still (from north to south) 205, then 201, then 207.
At 203 Swan Street (sometimes listed as 201 Swan Street), the Sebastian Valentine grocery was listed from 1917 through 1961. It was listed as the T. & S. Market in 1972, and it was listed as Rio’s Market from 1974 through 1983.
The historic building at 206 Main Street was the Charles Lehner meat market at least by 1912 and at least through 1915. In 1925 it was listed as the Nicholas P. Schrantz meat market and remained under that listing through 1959. In 1961 only a private residence was listed here, but the Schlichter bicycle shop was listed here from 1963 through 1979.
At 210 Lincoln Avenue, the Henry G. Schlade & Co. grocers were listed from 1912 through 1915. In 1917, the listing was under grocers H. G. and F. J. Schlade. From 1923 through 1935 the listing was under Flickingers. In 1938, it was Lucy A. Smith, groceries and meats. In 1940, the listing was under Red & White Store No. 1, but in 1941, it was Lucy A. Smith, groceries. Only a private home was listed here in 1944, but from 1946 through 1949, the Market Basket was listed here. In 1951, the listing was under Swanson’s Market Basket grocery.
A grocery was operated at 216 Central at least from 1912 through 1941 as Heyl’s Grocery. The address was listed as part of the Heyl Block from 1944 through 1961, and as late as 1977, Andrews Home Furnishings was listed here.
At 216 Lakeshore Drive West, fisherman Jos. Antol resided in 1941, and Russell J. Incavo had an upholstery shop in his home next door. From 1944 through 1951, 216 Lakeshore Drive West was used by the R. J. Incavo grocery and upholstery enterprise. Incavo’s Grocery Store was still listed at 216 in 1979, one of the longest surviving family groceries in the city.
At 235 Lake Shore Drive East, the Jos. W. Supkoski groceries and meats store was listed from 1935 through 1940. From 1941 through 1960, it was listed as the Chester J. Supkoski grocery store, and from 1961 through 1974 as Supkoski’s Market. The building no longer exists.
The bakery of Jos. Knasiak was listed at 241 Lakeshore Drive East from at least 1912. In 1925, it was the Adam Mosniak bakery, and from 1930 through 1979, it was the Quality Bakery.
A grocery was listed at 245 Lakeshore Drive East in the directories of 1902 through 1909 under the name of Andrew J. Rutkowski. The address was then known as 43 Lake Road. From 1910 through 1917, it was listed under Martin Politowski. From 1923 through 1930, the listing was Marion Politkowski. From 1935 through 1941 it was again Marion Politkowski, but the address had changed from 43 Lake Road to 245 Lakeshore Drive East. Marion Politkowski was still listed as a resident at 245 in the 1953 directory. The Frank Lokietek restaurant was next door at 243, and the Quality Bakery was two doors away at 241.
The Frank Fafinski grocery store was listed at 250 Townsend Street from 1915 through 1923. From 1925 through 1965, Ignatius Fafinski was listed with the store. In 1966, the listing was Mrs. Betty J. Fafinski, and from 1967 through 1969, the listing was Fafinski’s Grocery.
The soft drink parlor of John Marek was listed at 253 Franklin Avenue from 1930 through 1941. Before and afterward, it was listed as private home only.
At 253 Lakeshore Drive East, the Jos. Hutchins fruit market was listed from 1940 through 1944. The building was a private home for a short time afterward, but was later demolished for a gasoline and service station, which operated there from 1963 through at least 1979.
From 1941 through 1944, the A. P. Siembieda confectionary was listed at 255 Lakeshore Drive East, the place where the John F. Miehl print shop had been listed in 1935. In 1946, the confectionary of A. P. Sieme was listed here, but in 1948 and thereafter, the building was listed as a private home.
The Matthew Lipka grocery store was listed at 272 Lakeshore Drive East from 1938 through 1944, and in 1953, he was still listed as a resident there.
At 301 Lake Shore Drive East, the East End Market was listed as a groceries and meats store from 1938 through 1951.
A grocery was listed at 302 Lakeshore Drive East in 1902 under Andrew Lewandowski, when the address was known as 88 Lake Road East. From 1904 through 1923, Michael Wojcinski was listed with the grocery here. From 1925 through 1930, John A. Golubski was listed with the grocery, when the numbering was 90 Lake Road East. From 1935 through 1958, John A. Golubski was listed again with the store, but the numbering was then 302 Lakeshore Drive East.
The historic grocery at 303 Robin Street was listed from 1887 through 1909 under Fred Schutt, and in 1910 as the West Side Grocery under J. E. Smith. From 1912 through 1923, the listing was Fred Schutt again. From 1925 through 1944, Mrs. Nellie Hurley was listed with the store. From 1946 through 1948, it was George R. Ingham, in 1949 it was Mrs. Regina Kittell, and in 1951, it was Clarence E. Erbin.
A grocery at today’s 312 Lake Shore Drive East was originally known as 100 Lake Road and listed from 1923 through 1941 under the name of Frank V. Bonkowski. In 1938 and 1940, it was listed as the Arrowhead Store, a grocery.
The well known Candyland confectionary operated from at least 1925 through 1961 at 318 Central Avenue. Prior to 1915, the millinery of Mrs. C. O Schauer had operated here, and from 1963 through 1979, Leed’s Jewelers was listed here.
At 322 Central Avenue, the Wm. V. Johnson bakery existed at the time of the 1887 city directory. From 1889 through 1909, the bakery of Mrs. Louisa Johnson was listed there.
The grocery at today’s 327 Lakeshore Drive East was moved from 396 Lakeshore Drive East in 1946 by its owner Casimer Fedyszyn. The saloon of A. Nievolock was listed here in 1915. In 1941, it had been listed as the confectionary of Mrs. Frances Niewolak. The house can still be seen in the 21st century at the back of and attached to the market enclosure. From 1946 through 1953, the store was listed under Stanley Fedyszyn. In 1954 and 1955, it was listed as Fedyszyn’s Red & White Store, in 1956 as Fedyszyn’s Red & White Supermarket, from 1957 through 1963 as Fedyszyn’s Giant Co-op Market, and from 1964 through 1969 as Fedyszyn’s Super Market. From 1972 through 1974, it was Bob’s Market, in 1976 and 1977 it was Farner Parker, and from 1979 through 1981 it was Farner & Parker Dairy & Convenience Store. In 1983 it was listed at Quik-Stop Food Market, and in 1993 as Quik-Stop Food Market with Craig A. Marx as manager.
The building once standing at 327 Main Street (formerly Lion Street) was a Guarantee Store at least by 1912, then in 1915 the Amos & Heald 5 & 10 store, and then in 1925 the ladies’ store of Isadore Haber. By 1930, the Haber’s store had moved to 325, and 327 was vacant. However, from 1938 through 1963, the Supreme Bakery was listed there.
At 332 Main Street (then known as Lion Street), the Mangus Co. was listed in 1915, but by 1925, the street numbers from 330 through 332 were listed as the Barone Bros. meats and groceries, with the restaurant of Mrs. Alice Hall at 332 ½ Main Street. From 1938 through 1941, Keilen’s Ice Cream Bar was listed here, then from 1944 through 1946, the Ruth J. Rosenbach confectionary (with Higg’s Radio Shop at 332 ½). From 1949 through 1951, it was the R. J. Rosenbach confectionary (with Fisher’s Taxi at 332 ½). Ruth’s Coffee Shop was listed in 1954 (with a Taxi and Barber Shop at 332 ½). Bing’s Coffee Shop was listed here in 1955 and 1956 (with the Taxi and Barber Shop at 332 ½). From 1961 through 1969, the listings were the Triangle Restaurant at 332, and Jack’s Barber Shop at 332 ½. The Barber Shop continued through at least 1974, but the restaurant did not.
In 1896 the Tarbox and Goulding meat market was listed at 335 Central Avenue. By 1912, it was the D. E. Gurney bakery. In 1915, it was the Conrad Link bakery, and from 1925 through 1951, it was the Dunkirk Home Bakery. From 1963 through 1967, it was the Central Avenue Bakery. From 1968 through 1972, the Westfield Home Bakery was there. The number disappeared after 1977.
At 337 Main Street (formerly Lion Street), a vacant store was listed in 1912, the Frank Miller stationery store in 1915, and the Nick Harris restaurant in 1925. The Federal Bakery was listed there from 1930 through 1946, and then the Federal Bakery and Smoke Shop in 1948. From 1949 through 1954, a record shop and smoke shop were listed there, then a long vacancy, and then an Army Surplus store (1961) and a Salvation Army thrift shop (1968 through 1976). The building no longer exits.
The Gratiot Hotel featured store fronts at the street level, and from 1938 through 1944, the Corner News Shop also operated as a confectionary there under the address of 353 Central Avenue. From 1941 through 1949, the Fanny Farmer Candy shop operated in the same building, but under the address of 343 Central Avenue. The building no longer exists.
The Stanley Grzegorzewski groceries and meats store was listed at 363 Lakeshore Drive East from 1935 through 1941, and the Raymond Gregory grocery was listed here from 1944 through 1951.
A grocery was listed at today’s 396 Lakeshore Drive East in 1930 as 178 Lake Road under Casimer Fedyszyn. In 1935 it had been renumbered to today’s listing, and through 1944 the listing was under Casimer Fedyszyn. By 1946, the Fedyszyn store had moved to 327 Lakeshore Drive East.
At 415 Main Street (then known as Lion Street), the Charles Petz grocery was listed at least from 1912 through 1923. It was the Charles Petz fruit market from 1925 through 1941. From 1944 through 1954, the fruit market of Mrs. Gertrude L. Petz was listed there, and from 1955 through 1977, the fruit market of Nellie M. Petz was listed. The building no longer exists.
The National Grocery Co. was listed at 417 South Main Street from 1917 through 1925. From 1930 through 1951, it was listed as the Chas. Fenar grocery. The building no longer exists.
At 422 Main Street (formerly Lion Street), the Charles J. Pfleeger confectionary was listed in 1915. It was listed again under his name in 1925, but under the address of 420 Main Street. In 1930, the number had changed again, to 424 Main Street, and the listing was the O. F. Phillips confectionary. In 1941, it was the Orren Phillips confectionary. The building no longer exists.
From 1935 through 1940, the Rosario Lupino grocery was listed at 429 (South) Main Street. From 1941 through 1944, the grocery of Mrs. Mary Lupino was listed there. The confectioner Jos. A. Gugino was listed there from 1946 through 1951. Prior to 1930, the store front had been listed as the J. Cortese barber shop (1912), the office of the Dunkirk Laundry Co. (1915), the shoe repair shop of A. Cortese and the tailor shop of W. H. Gibbs (1917), the shoe repair shop of Anthony Cortese (1923), and the Dunkirk Radio Service shop (1930). The building no longer exists.
At 433 Main Street a tire store was listed in 1930, but in 1935, the Larkin Store was listed as a grocery there. The Danahy-Faxon grocery was listed there from 1940 through 1951. The building no longer exists.
Today’s 435 Woodrow was listed as the Chas. Siebert grocery. There was no listing in 1938, but then it was listed as Siebert’s Grocery in 1940. From 1941 through 1967, it was listed as the Sylvester Karabin grocery.
At 439 Main Street, Henry Weimer’s saloon was listed from 1912 through 1915, and the Five Point Saloon was listed in 1917. However, in 1923 during Prohibition, Carmelo Patti was listed with soft drinks there. From 1930 through 1940, the A & P grocery was there. It was listed as the Carmelo Patti grocery from 1941 through 1969. The building no longer exists.
A grocery at 525 Main Street was listed from 1930 through 1940 under Samuel Lema. From 1941 through 1949, the listing said Samuel Lima. In 1951 it was Jos. P. Morgan. The business began as Rose Fruit Market, operated in the second half of the twentieth century as Mary’s Deli by Mary Ann Russo, daughter of Samuel and Rose (Salemi) Lima, and her family.
The Montgomery grocery was listed in 1915 at 539 Deer Street. In 1925, it was the Quality Cash Store. In 1930, the listing was under the grocery of Mrs. A. Scheyer, and in 1935 under the grocery of Chas. Siebert. From 1938 through 1940, the listing was Deer Street Food Market, but thereafter, the building became a private home only.
At 639 ½ Park Street, a Flickinger grocery was listed from 1930 through 1935. From 1938 through 1940, it was listed as a Red & White grocery. In 1941, it was the grocery of Mrs. Nellie C. Rich. It was a private home in 1944, a beauty shop from 1946 through 1948, and then the Albert Dengler grocery through 1951. For a time thereafter, the building served as a bikers’ supply shop and a television repair shop.
From 1912 through 1917, the Wm. J. Bremer grocery was listed at today’s 701 Main Street. In 1923 and 1925 it was listed under Charles F. Siebert. From 1930 through 1938 it was listed as a Flickinger store, and in 1940 as a Red & White store. From 1941 through 1946, it was listed under Mrs. Eliz. G. Dahn as a grocery. In 1948 it was the grocery of Loretta Petz, and in 1951 the grocery of Albert J. Doino. Bruce’s Food Market was listed here from 1961 through 1979.
800 Central Avenue was the site of the Sahm’s Hotel from 1912 through 1917, and in 1923 was listed as the Stanilaus Velk hotel, but in 1925, the Stanislaus Velk grocery was listed at 802 Central. In 1930, Velk’s Hotel was still listed, and in 1935, it was the Nickel Plate Hotel. The S. Velk grocery was listed at 802 Central. From 1938 through 1941, the listing was Stanley Velk, grocery and meats, and from 1944 through 1946, it was Stanley Velk, grocery, meats, and hotel. From 1948 through 1951, it was the Kricheldorf Hotel, then from 1961 through 1979, the Krzal Hotel.
In 1923, the Economy Grocery was listed at today’s 953 Central Avenue. Some listings afterward were: Charles Mangus grocery (1925), Wm. F. Ford meats (1935), Hugh H. Stewart grocery and meats (1938 – 1949), W. M. Kettenring grocery (1962 – 1972), Pat Corsi liquors (1979).